I began the hand quilting on the Yes We Can, Jane quilt on Saturday, December 3, 2011 at the center of the quilt in the bottom left corner of the inner border area. I hope that makes sense. I chose the Mountain Mist Quilt-Light polyester batting for the quilt for two reasons:
1) I used to use this regularly on my quilts, and was able to achieve a very good stitch to inch ratio. Lately I have been using an 80/20 cotton/poly blend, as I like the warmth it provides, but using this blend means a smaller stitch ratio.
2) This quilt will mostly be a display quilt rather than a “sleep and cuddle under” quilt, thus it will get less use and the choice of batting is appropriate.
While I like how the quilting is going so far, there is one thing that I am struggling with. The cream colored solid fabric that is in the sashing and forms the base for all of the blocks has a very high thread count. It is a cotton fabric, but not at all easy to needle. Because of the high thread count, even with following a straight line, the stitches appear in many areas to be wobbling, which I assure you they are not.
Quilting lines are 1/4 and 1/2 inch apart in the solid cream colored areas. Each block will (obviously) be quilted as appropriate to the block. I am using a water soluble marker that I have used for over 30 years with total success. The blue lines will easily come out with a soak in cold water.
The brown block on the left is M-9 (from the Jane Stickle quilt), made by Holly Sweet of North Carolina. Next to that is Buckeye Beauty made by Ruth Garrett of Ohio.
Stay tuned for another update this weekend!