Yes, you read that correctly.
- What is your favorite toothpaste?
- What brand of deodorant do you use?
- When you throw in a load of laundry, what kind of detergent do you use?
- When you clean your house, do you vacuum first or dust first?
The first three questions have to do with the product itself. When we run out of any of those items, they are replaced with the exact same brands that we just ran out of. It works well for us. It does the trick. If we didn’t like it, we would use something else. But once we FIND one we like, we do indeed stick with it.
- What kind of marker do you use to mark your quilts?
- What batting do you like?
- What needle works best for you to applique? What needle do you use for hand quilting?
- Do you always pre-wash your fabrics?
I find it difficult to answer these questions. They usually get answered by dozens of quilters, but the answers are usually all different! That’s because quilting is PERSONAL. You try something, and if you like it, you keep it. If you DON’T like something, you set it aside. What works for another quilter might not work for you.
If you have a quilting habit, it has most likely developed over time. There is no right or wrong way,
but if it works once, you’ll go back and do it again the same way. And try that four or five times without problems, and guess what? THAT’S HOW YOU DO IT. It’s YOUR thing!
So, if you are a very beginning quilter, you are in the experimental stage of quiltmaking: determining what your products are, and what works for you, becomes YOUR habit. It works. Period. It gets the job done nicely.
And so it goes…
Published by Caron Mosey at Michigan Quilts! 2015.
Thanks for leaving a comment! Please be sure to include your name, and make sure your email address is enabled so I can respond.